Gay Pride Month is being celebrated all over the country, so to get in on the action we took a deep dive into our data surrounding Match’s own Gay & Lesbian community. Alongside some surprising facts, we found one standout similarity to our heterosexual members: the communication patterns amongst the gay and lesbian community reflect those of the straight community- the person who initiates conversation tends to be older than the person they are reaching out to. Here are some ways Match.com’s gay community is unique:
- Gay men are 25% more likely to have a cat than straight men
- Lesbians have a higher rate of exotic pet ownership
- Lesbians are 50% more likely to be liberal than straight women
- Both gay and lesbians claim less exercise than their straight Match peers
- The top three cities to find a gay man are (in order): Washington, D.C.; New York, New York; and Los Angeles, California
- The top three cities to find a lesbian are (in order): Oakland, California; Long Beach, California; and St. Petersburg, Florida
Did you find any of the facts surprising? Let us know in the comments below, and tell us if you will be celebrating Pride Month in your town!
Try Match.com for free today here.