In this modern age of dating, it is clear the game has definitely changed. As a leader in the online dating industry, Match.com understands and serves the American singles that make up over one-third of the U.S. population. After taking an in-depth look at the etiquette of singles based on our study of more than 5,000 single Americans, we have found that, while some traditional dating do’s and don’ts still exist, the “golden rules” aren’t what they used to be. Single Americans today are challenging gender and age stereotypes and adopting new dating. From texting to friending dates on Facebook, we’ve got the hook-up on the fundamentals of dating.
- Giving the cold shoulder: One out of four women between the ages of 21-34 will either be evasive about their availability or simply ignore their calls, emails, and texts to signal they are uninterested in another date. Women over 35, however, are slightly more inclined to politely explain they are not interested.
- No more lady-in-waiting: Over half of women reach out to their date on their own instead of waiting for the guy to call after their date.
- You text-machine! About a third of both men and women will text a date to communicate after a successful first date. Of those, almost 60% are between the ages of 21-34.
- By the (Face)Book: Younger singles between the ages of 21-35 think it’s perfectly acceptable to add a date as a Facebook friend after 2-3 dates (26%). One out of six young ones think its okay to friend your new date before your first date ever occurs (Whether you are friending them to scrutinize pictures of them with their exes is still undetermined).
- Kiss and make-out: Over half of men said they found making-out an appropriate sexual activity on a first date, compared to only one out of four women. On the same note, over 45% of people ages 21-44 consider making out A-OK on the first date.
- Ready, steady: Around 25% of women say they would like to wait for an exclusive relationship before having sex with a new partner. And men are on the same page- 32% said they would wait until the other person is ready.
Here are some graphs showing the results in living color:
Click to enlarge.
So there you have it, our findings on the new rules of dating. Let us know in the comments below if you have a new rule of dating, something that goes against the status quo.